NEW YORK (AP) — NASA has canceled its first spacewalk of the year and may return its crew from the International Space Station early because of medical problems on board.
The spacewalk had been scheduled for Thursday but was delayed due to an unspecified medical issue with the astronaut, who has not been identified, the space agency said.
NASA said the astronaut is in stable condition, but the agency is “actively evaluating all options,” including ending the mission early.
“Achieving our missions is our top priority,” agency spokeswoman Cheryl Warner said:
The four-person crew, made up of Americans, Japanese and Russians, has been in the orbiting laboratory since August, after it was launched from Florida.
___________________________________
The Associated Press receives support for health and science coverage from the Department of Science Education at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. AP is solely responsible for the content.
___________________________________
This story was translated from English by an AP editor using a generative artificial intelligence tool.

